SOOZ-NEWS -- Travel updates and Prayer Requests

Welcome to Sooz-News, where you can get stories and pictures of my mission trip travels, my East Austin ministry at Mission Possible, and prayer requests.
In order to get the full story of how God pulled me out of advertising to take me on this adventure with Him, you should check out my first post dated Dec. 29, 2007.
Peace, love & joy to all,
-Sooz

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Pray for KENYA

Hi everyone - I don't know if you've heard about the terrible riots and unrest going on in Kenya this week, due to claims of vote-counting fraud in their Presidential election last week. Apparently the violence and tension keeps escalating, hundreds have been killed, and tens of thousands have been displaced from their homes. Kenya needs our prayers for peace right now.

My aunt in Yemen sent me this email this morning. Two of their four kids go to the Rift Valley Academy boarding school, about an hour outside of Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. That God they are still in Yemen on Christmas break...

Hi Everyone,
Please pray for the government of Kenya and the people of that land. Due to problems in the presidential elections, there have been riots and over 100 have been killed. RVA emailed us to postpone sending the kids as the teachers’ could not get to the airport to pick up the kids. As of right now, school will start on the 8th, but on Friday they will reassess the situation and decide whether to postpone school another 2 weeks or not. We saw on the news today that violence has increased. Do pray for all of our friends there, for the Kenyan people and that there will be peace. Our kids were saying that some schools have snow days. Theirs has riot days! Seriously, we do need to pray.
Love,
Martha


Also, my friend Melissa, the e3 Partners missionary I met in Kenya last year got this email from the national Kenyan pastor there, Pastor Joe Michael. He and his wife are the ones that took us around to the countryside church and to the Masai Mara village. He gives some details of what to pray for...

Dear Daughter Melissa,
Receive greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you for calling me earlier in the day. It was good to know that you are praying for us. At this moment please pray that our hearts will continue to focused on the Lord. We need the divine guidance. Pray that all the people of Kenya will continue to smile at the storm, for Jesus Christ is in the vessel. We need to be peaceful at this moment and exercise tolerance. Many properties have been destroyed, people have lost their lives, people have been injured and thousands have been displaced. At the moment food stores don't have the essential household items. Public transport is not operating at the moment. My family is doing fine and we are safe where where we are at the moment. Pray that the Lord will continue to put a hedge of protection around us. Thank you and may God bless you for praying for us this time in Kenya.
Yours In His Service,
Rev. Joe Michael Kamau

For more information on the situation in Kenya go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/default.stm

For those who are wondering about my safety, I feel unwaivered from the mission that has been set before me. Over the past few months I've wondered why I didn't feel God calling me to go to Kenya on this trip. I fell in love with Kenya when I visited last year, and feel like it's a place where God showed me his heart for the nations. But I just didn't feel Him calling me to go there this time around. I even talked to a few people about it, saying that if doors opened up for me to go there I would consider it, but that so far God was not leading me there, so I wasn't going to force it just because of my love for Kenya. I know that my safety is not guaranteed, but I do feel the hedge of God's protection around me on this journey.

Please keep Kenya in your prayers.

No comments: